Hello parents / grandparents...
I have started this thread for admission related discussions for babaji vidhyashram, sholinganallur... Request all members to post thier views and feedback on the school and admission process. Any info you post here might be helpful for someone at some point. So pls do pour in your general reviews and queries. Especially reviews from parents of existing students will be very useful.
Thanks in advance
Accepted your friend request. I am an existing parent with two children in Babaji, I found the process to be very transparent and straight forward.
Everything was computerized and online, right from initial registration to final application and documentation.
Usually they shortlist and call on the basis of distance from school and after a formal interview, the admission is provided. The interview process takes 3-4 hours. When I applied for my children I visited and tried in many schools, this is one of the schools where there is a clear process, transparency. The only difficulty is in getting the seat as they have limited vacancy and prefer people living close to school. Happy to share anything else that any parent wants to know.
Thanks PB ! .... Just to clarify couple of things..
1. Does the interview take 3 to 4 hrs ?
2. Do they reject based on distance from school? And what distance roughly is acceptable to them ....
Since your kids are there for a few years now, how do you find the student - teacher interaction ? For higher classes do they follow only CBSE curriculum or any modified version?
Thanks in advance for your time !
Hi PB, I have seen your detailed reviews for Babaji and they were very useful. In fact, Babaji was my first choice for admitting my child in LKG after reading your reviews. But that has changed after I visited their location. I see it is right in the midst of marshland and the surrounding plots have stagnant water. It looks highly unhealthy, a big concern for me as I intend to shift closer to whichever school my daughter is admitted into (am looking only at schools in and around Shollinganallur for this reason). Please share your feedback regarding the marshland issue? My parents live with me and my mother is asthmatic and hence the concern (plus, mosquito problems). Look forward to your feedback. We have got a school visit and interaction scheduled with Babaji in December. Thank you!
There was some waiting time when I attended the interview but the interview itself took only a few minutes. One of the office staff told me that they get around 1400 - 1500 applications and they seem to do their best to cater to everybody. I found that if you are living within 2-3 KM radius they tend to consider the application favorably.
Most of the teachers are approachable and willing to answer questions, For my child they were willing to stay beyond school hours and help when required.
Hope this helps.
I am surprised, I live very close to the school now and there are thousands of trees around this place. In fact lots of people from nearby areas come here for morning walk. Why don't you join in one weekend and talk to few of the parents. There is no marsh nearby but two big lakes.
Hi Papabear, I was driving down to the school and saw the plots around the school were water logged (one old house very close to the school looked abandoned and there was water in its grounds. A few empty plots too were water logged). It hadn't rained either for a few days before. Which is why I am concerned. Are these weekend walks that you are referring to? Could you share some details? i would like to meet some parents. This water logging is my main, and in fact only, concern.
You can drop in when school is closing OR on weekend mornings when people go for their morning walk.
A few plots seem to be undeveloped and hence remain so, but overall in the last 2-3 years I have literally seen hundreds of houses come up and also many reputed developers building apartment projects in the vicinity.
Thank you @Papabear. I intend to do a scouting trip this weekend.
I have the same concern about the location of the school. I intend to move in near school if i get the admission. Did you had a chance to take a look around. Please give your opinion here, that would help many about the school location.
Hi Dven, unfortunately I was not able to do a proper recce. I am most likely opting for another school, mainly because I really liked that school and there are a couple of apartment complexes nearby within walking distance. While there are apartment complexes right next to Babaji, the water logging issue has put me off, especially since my mother's asthma is a consideration. While I have a scheduled interaction with Babaji in December, I will need to finalise at this other school before that. But from what I have heard from parents at Babaji, the school is really good especially for those keen on CBSE board.
Did anyone fill the online application recently? It is asking the details of last attended class. The year column has only till 2019. Let say I am looking admission for 4th grade do i have to fill details for 2nd grade or 3rd grade with term 1 details? Appreciate if any one can clarify who filled in the application recently.
Which is the other school you have considered?
@Daddycool88. It is a new school. Campus K near Sholinganallur. They have only till Class 5 right now, but are constructing the high school building a little away from the primary school campus. The same management runs the well respected Greenvalley International School in Trivandrum. I liked a number of points about the school (LKG classes until 2.30pm as my daughter would like a longer time in school, hot lunch included in the fees, personalised teaching philosophy in sync with what I have in mind, very small class sizes and overall very good teacher:student ratio and good facilities) and feedback from parents who send their kids there was also very good. For me location is also convenient.
Thanks momma1 for the response.
Thanks for the reply Momma1. Have a happy school year and all the best!!
Haridhivya, sorry for late response. I did give the current grade and selected year 2019 as that the last grade they are in before seeking admission in to babaji.
Is it CBSE affiliated? Do not see that info on the website.
Hi papa bear thank you for the useful information. I've applied for pre kg for my daughter can u pls say wat they'll ask in the interview
When I contacted the school, they said they are conducting an entrance test this saturday. By any chance, Is anyone appearing for that?
Do they conduct tests for KG also?
Hi I'm hearing good reviews about Babaji. I'm staying in kandanchavadi omr and looking for admission to class 8 . I'm worried about the distance to commute, can someone let me know the school timings and if the school bus is available for our locality, so that I can decide.
Hi PB, Campus K is Cambridge. My earlier reply was referring to Babaji when i said I have head good reviews from other parents about it (But from what I have heard from parents at Babaji, the school is really good especially for those keen on CBSE board.)
Do you mind sharing campus K fees structure here. And do they provide school transport for LKG kids ?
@DaddyCool88 - I am sharing the points I liked about CampusK here, so you can see if that fits your requirement:
1. The only school, among all the schools I interacted with, that has class from 9am to 2.30pm for KG kids. All other schools that I checked have class only till 12 noon for KG. My daughter, who goes to a play school now, is ready to spend longer in school. For her 9-12 will be limiting and so this works for her.
2. They provide hot lunch in school (cooked elsewhere at a central kitchen due to safety concerns of having a kitchen in the same campus as the school). All the kids and teachers eat the same meal. There are different timings for the smaller children and bigger children. A morning snack has to be sent by the parent.
3. This lunch cost is included in the fees and is not additional.
4. Since it is a new school they have classes only till 5th std and only 1 section per class as of now. Only 15 children per class/section and they will add new section only in KG or 1st standard (don't remember which one) if they do add. So fewer kids overall in the space.
5. Very clean and neat bathrooms and dry bathroom system.
6. RO water dispenser in the campus.
7. They have spaces set aside for different subjects and a skills-focused teaching system (do check out their website for more details. It has a detailed explanation of their philosophy like starting and ending day with physical activity, personalised one-on-one teaching time, concept and doing based learning etc), where the child's needs and skills are at the core.
8. They will teach English, Tamil, Hindi and Spanish right from the beginning as normal conversational teaching in the KG classes and then slowly moving to reading and writing (like how I learnt English when I went to school)
9. Good play area for the little ones. They have an indoor games space coming up on the top floor. There is a small outdoor grass-football court. The new secondary school campus (which should be over in 2021 I think) will have a larger play ground they say.
Regarding your specific question - they do have school transport for KG students (but i think only common bus for all students as the overall strength is small). Fees - I am not sure if I should share in public forum, but I found it reasonable as I was able to compare it with APL and Babaji. Lower than APL and slightly higher than Babaji. I suggest you contact the school, see the space, meet the staff and teachers and hear from them what they have to say. They will share fee details also openly.
All the best!