can someone guide me in good international (igcse)schools around omr. Both of my kids are going to enter 9&4 th grades next year. Please need it ASAP.
I had earlier evaluated IB & IGCSE and found that IB board works much better. I found in my research that IGCSE is a high end version of CBSE. This was logical because CBSE has evolved from the british and IGCSE is presently being offered by UK Cambridge board.
There are very few schools which deliver proper international curriculum & teaching in Chennai. I have compiled a short list of schools that may be of interest to you, you must take the effort to visit each school and evaluate for yourself -
1. International Village School - Expat & Indian teachers with foreign teaching license, Complete IB school located in Sholinganallur, this school was my favorite when I reviewed many schools in Chennai for my children. The fee charged and quality of teachers as well as infrastructure all met my expectations.
2. American International school - Expat teachers and Indian teaching assistants, part AP curriculum and IB in high school as an option. Too expensive for me and did not like the culture, but infrastructure is decent.
3. TIPS - All Indian teachers without foreign license, with very poor methodology of teaching IB. If you are looking for proper IB this may not work
4. Kids Central - IB head but Indian teachers without foreign license, they offer a mix of UK Cambridge and IB. Was too far for me and also the teachers quality is only average. For the fee charged I felt teaching quality can be better.
Good luck on your search.
Thanks for your valuable time to give more details about the schools. I enquired American and KC high the fees is too expensive. One of my friend said there is JS global and HLC international schools in shollinganallur. Any reviews about these schools? Thanks.
JS global is a good one. My kid studies there (LKG). The atmosphere is very friendly and teachers are very much approachable. Have a look in person. But they have till 8th only i guess for this year
Hi Parent3977, HLC is a very good International school in this locality. My kids go there. However admissions to middle grades would be challenging as its a single section school. You may visit their website to fill in the application and then the School coodinator will contact you. Thanks.
Hi Prady2013 ,
Let me know which grade are your kids in? Thanks
My elder one is in 1st grade and the younger one is in LKG now..
Please ping me if you need more details.
Between HLC & JS global here is my analysis -
1. JS is new, heard that they offer deep discounts, overall they seem to have very few children and do not as yet have a track record. Something is also wrong with the location of the school, please visit and evaluate for yourself.
2. HLC is older and more established. However they focus more on working with children with learning difficulties, heard that they have a large number of such children. It will be a good idea to go to the school and talk to them and see the classrooms.
Did you try APL Global?
Hi Prady2013, I have applied to HLC for my daughter for LKG. Please share your feedback on the school. Is it true it is focused on students with learning disabilities as mentioned by another user here? I have filled up the form and got an acknowledgement but nothing further. Other schools have scheduled school visits etc. I do not want to miss out on another school while waiting to hear back from HLC. What was the admission process when you applied for your child?
Hi momma1, I will share my experience @ HLC.
This is a Cambridge Curriculum based International school (IGCSE). It is a very good school which is child centric and do a lot of activities based learning. My kids and all of us are very happy about the school.
The school is an Inclusive school which means they in-take kids with special needs too. But this is a very small percentage of the school like may be 1-2 kids in a class. The school believes in an Inclusive learning. There are some kids who are part of their special guidance/learning program too.
Regarding Admissions for Kinder garten:
I believe the school has put up a timeframe for the scheduled school visits. The process will be straight forward with mostly first come priority (at least for KGs). So there wouldnt be any tests/interviews rather it would be a general discussion of the school activities and explaining the methodology. They would most probably intimate the Admission immediately and explained about the fees etc.
I understand the different timings of the school admissions and the dilemma it creates. But I would say HLC is a great start for the kids. All the very best.
P.S: These are my views and info just for KG Admissions and I know it gets very difficult for higher grade admissions.
Thank you Prady2013, It is good to hear the feedback. I am quite keen on HLC and am looking at an inclusive school that is not focused on rote-learning and just exams. HLC looks like a good fit. I haven't visited the school yet as they told me to fill the admission form online. I got an acknowledgement from the school but no communication post that. My understanding (based on a phone call with the school a few months ago) was that they do not encourage walk-ins. What do you suggest? I would like some idea about the admission timeline. Thanks!
Hello momma1, I would suggest to wait and you should hear back from the school soon. Since they have given November timeframe, this would happen in November itself.
They will usually respond and may ask you to visit the school in just a few days from the call/mail. So please give a few days and may be try calling them towards the end of the week if no response yet. Thanks.
Thanks Prady2013. I will do that
I enquired in HLC they said there is no vacancy for 9 th grade. Anyhow they to to try on Jan.
Hi thanks! what would the fee charged at the International Village school be for pre schoolers?