I had relocated from UAE in March and opted for CBSE for my daughter. You will find many cbse good cbse schools with all facilities and schools offering IGCSE are very few. As we don't have any future relocation plan as well i opted for cbse. Here they will definitely have to learn local language along with Hindi till class four.They dont consider it for grading but just for the students to do the basic reading and writing.I felt it as advantage.Many schools which claims IGCSE affiliated doesn't seems to stick their standards.Either run inside a small campus or has Non trained teachers or could be very new to say some opinion. These are my observations.I stay @ OMR and talking about schools around this area. Also if you are looking out for admissions for next academic year in CBSE pls start your hunt soon as it isnt an easy job to get admitted in grades other than KG.Also be prepared to pay capitations in Lakhs. Schools hardly respond to you over phone or mails related to admission inquiries....
All d best and Happy Hunting.....
Here is a review I posted some time back on Parentree about Schools in and around OMR -
There are several good schools in and around Sholinganallur. I have listed them in order of my preference, you can easily visit each school and evaluate -
1. Babaji Vidhyashram - A/C - reasonable fees - CBSE affiliated with playground
2. PSBB Millenium - Non A/C - reasonable fees - CBSE affiliated with playground, toilets not hygienic
3. NPS - A/C - High range fees - ICSE affifliated without playground
4. Velammal - A/C - medium to high range fees - not affiliated, no playground for now, factory approach to education
5. Narayana & Chaitanya - A/C - high fees - fully commercial, no playground
6. St.Johns Public School - Non A/C - medium to high fees CBSE Affiliated with playground
7. Ramana Vidyalaya - Non A/C - very reasonable fees - CBSE Affiliated with small play area - English is a major problem in this school
8.Sacred Heart - Non A/C - reasonable fees - They are just trying to convert from State board to CBSE - English is a problem, they have state board mindset in teaching methodology which is a problem.
9. Barathi Vidyala - Non A/C reasonable fees - CBSE affiliated one of the oldest schools in this locality but teaching quality is slightly better than state board.
I found that it is tough getting admission in Babaji & PSBB however both are very good. Both my children study at Babaji.
All the best in your quest.
Thank you for your replies. Is it hard to take tamil asa second language in 8 th grade. Now only he started to learn tamil . So am confused which to take...which school your kids are studying Minnie?
Hi I tried in babaji vidhyashram but they said parents and kids to be here during admission. So it€™s very tough for me... which grade ur kids are studying there PB ?
Yes, they are very particular in meeting parents with the child, but when I hunted for schools no school wanted to see my child, everybody only wanted money....Babaji was the only school which wanted to see the whole family.
Local language (Tamil in Tamilnadu) / Hindi as languages are being made mandatory at all levels by CBSE, Iam not sure about grade 8, you MUST check with the school if this rule already applies to grade 8 this year and grade 9 next year. I don't think you can avoid studying one of the local languages if you are keen on CBSE.
One of my children is in primary and the other in high school.
Thanks for the information PB!
They told languages are mandatory. Now only my kid started to learn tamil is it is easy to pickup . This is the thing I am thinking about....
I am planning to moving from USA to Chennai next year so can anyone give reviews which below schools I€™ll be best for my 8 th grader son.
1. St.John€™s public school Medavakkam
2. Omega school
3. Gateway the complete school shollinganallur
Any of ur kids studying in any those schools. I need it very urgent