We used to do this in school:
- cut up thin layers of sponge in different shapes and sizes -stars, circles, hectagons/octagons etc.
- Place and stick two shapes one on the other. Decorate with beads/kundans/sequins.
- Cut up a length of thread - you could use the readily available thread rakhis- and stick to the bottom of the dial with a tiny cardboard/paper square.
I'm not sure your 8 year old can do this:
- Cut up silk into a 3 inch square and separate the threads into a bunch.
- tie up from the centre and blow into a circle.
- brush(with a toothbrush), so the threads fearther out. trim the edges into a smooth circle.
- place a bead/sequin in the centre and stick a length of thread at the bottom.