Fort St. George, one of the earliest British settlements in India can be an interesting trip for kids of any age. Its a nice way to spend a couple of hours. For older kids, it can be a great history lesson.
The interesting things to see are:
- A real fort with a moat and ramparts
- Many cannons
- Well preserved older buildings
- A nice museum. The museum has some armor, swords and some guns, which maybe tough to explain to really little kids.
- Really old well-preserved letters from people like Robert Clive
- There is a shell that was fired at the fort during World War I, by the German warship "Emden"
Where to go
Go past Marina beach, past the War Memorial/Island grounds, and Fort St. George is on your left. There is a convenient parking lot opposite the fort.
Archaelogical Society of India