Yeah, reading with them (from even when they are babies) is fun, bonding and great for them. I always read a lot to my little ones. And I have to admit that once they were ready to read, they were on a roll (I think a lot of credit is because we always read a lot to them).
1) Make sure the books are appropriate. I think board books are appropriate. Make sure they get to play with them. Board books will not tear. Some good books:
- Good night moon by Margarent Wise Brown (others as well by the author)
- The Hungry Caterpillar (Eric Carle--more by the same author)
- Check out this parentree article about 8 must have classic board books.
2) Read not just at bed time but most times. In the car when they are captive. Keep some books in the car.
3) Make it conversational and fun.
4) Check out these Parentree articles as well