Dads do not forget, Sunday, May 9th is Mother's Day. We have some ideas and tips for guiding your little ones in making mom’s day special and showing how much you guys care and appreciate mom. And of course, moms and dads can use some of these tips for their moms and dads as well. Moms, you might even want to ideas for pampering you. forward to dads for next time around. Maybe they will get the message. ;-)
First a little background on what exactly is this Mother’s Day that is plastered all over in the media and in shops these days. It is essentially a 20th century phenomenon initially celebrated in the United States but is now popular pretty much all over the world and of course our own India as well. Mother’s day is celebrated on the second Sunday of May. Of course the idea is to love, honour and celebrate moms and make them feel special.
As with everything these days, it has also become commercial with Mother's Day sales, Mother’s Day cards etc. Many might bemoan this commercial aspect of Mother’s Day and get cheesed off but in essence it can be a good way to make mom feel special and have some fun as a family.
Okay, now some ideas and tips:
- Of course there are the standard jewellery, books, perfumes and other material things that mom might have her eye on for some time. You guys can either get some thing beforehand or even go and buy it with her that day. Make it a fun family affair. The idea is to make her feel special. Some novel gift ideas:
- An interesting plant
- Get your and the kids pictures taken beforehand, frame them or even give her the photo to keep in her purse.
- Get kids to paint a ceramics coffee mug for her in the clay painting places like Colour Factory. Working moms would love to keep these in their offices. (Colour Factory - http://thecolourfactory.in/)
- Of course have the kids make Mother’s Day cards, get some flowers the night before and hide them and then have the kids give them in the morning of the D-day.
- What about giving mom tea/coffee or even breakfast in bed? A cute touch: Put a little flower and hand made cards from kids on the tray when you serve her. She sure will be delighted and yes a tad surprised.
- What about you and the kids cooking a special meal for her? If you are cooking something for her, do clean up afterward.
- In general help her out that day. For example, offer to bathe the kids or feed them while she reads the morning paper and sips her chai in peace.
- A simple thing like a collection of some nice lotions, creams etc. that mom would otherwise not indulge in can go a long way in making her feel special. Pamper her with things that she can pamper herself with and remember her brood as she uses them.
- What about a spa/massage/beauty parlour gift voucher to pamper her with? And remember to tell her that you will watch the kids when she goes for this.
- If mom has been very busy lately, ask her if she wants some “me” time alone and do stuff by herself and watch the kids while she goes out on her own.
- Top the gifts and pampering with a nice family outing—a movie, a restaurant, a walk etc.
Have fun! And good luck in making it special for her!! Moms, please share some cool ideas from your experience.