Do not forget Feb 14th is Valentine’s Day. People all over the world celebrate love (and friendship) this day. Legend has it that Saint Valentine was a priest who helped marry lovers in ancient Rome. In the west Valentine's has been celebrated since thousands of years but it is a recent phenomenon in India. Lovers (some friends as well) exchange cards, flowers, chocolates and gifts.
Many might bemoan the commercial and “western” aspects of this day, but why not tap into this opportunity and involve your little ones in some fun and non-commercial activities? it will bring some warmth, colour and excitement in life! Some fun ideas:
- Have your child make Valentine's day cards or goodies for their classmates and friends. This can be a fun way to make them draw, write, cut and do all sorts of fun crafts. It is a chance for them to express their fondness for their friends, bond with them and have some fun with them. Some ideas:
- The simplest: Have them draw a heart, colour it red, cut it out. They can jazz it up with stickers or glitter if they want. Perhaps make a smiley on it. Even stick a stick (example, ice cream stick) for holding it like a lollipop. Write a note at the back. How special will their friends feel when they receive this card!
- You can have them make a card with dark construction paper and then get a silver or gold felt pen and have them draw and write with that. It sure will get a lot of oohs and aahs from their friends. Or even take a dry leaf (make sure it does not crumble).
- Another “crafty” idea is to take two small white paper plates and fold in half and then put the curvy sides overlapping slightly together like a heart. Have your child jazz up the outside with their art, stickers, glitter etc. You can even make a basket or bag like that by stapling or sticking the open sides. Now just stick some pretty ribbon and you have a cute heart-shaped basket for their pals.
- Ask your child to draw different objects using heart shapes, getting them to be creative as well. For example, heart shaped petals for flowers, heart shaped hats etc.
- What about making some heart shaped cookies? Put icing on top and have your child decorate these with gems and other decorations and give to her pals.
- Have your child make a Valentine card for their teacher.
- Wear red and have them wear red. If your child is in a preschool and does not wear a uniform to school, he can wear red clothes. What a fun way for toddlers and little ones to learn their colours. And of course you could also wear red.
- Make sure that you have a Valentine's card for your child handy and also a treat in case she does not get Valentine day cards and is sad. The little ones are innocent and forget easily once they get the card or/and the treat.
- You can even make a card for your little ones - how special is that!
And mamas and papas, do not forget to have some fun as well.
Happy Valentines day! And if you have some cool ideas up your sleeves, do not forget to share with us all.