You are 8 weeks pregnant or in your 9th week of pregnancy (counting from the first day of your Last Menstrual Period).
Keep in mind that this information is approximate. Each pregnancy is different and growth rates vary. For variations and details, please talk to your doctor.
What’s happening to the baby?
- The baby, in medical jargon, has now changed from an embryo to a foetus.
- The baby's tail has completely disappeared. The baby now has all the basic looks and organs of a person.
- The eyelids have developed but have closed shut and will remain shut for a while longer.
- Muscles are developing and joints are in place and the baby maybe able to move but not in a way that you can feel.
- Your baby is about 1.5 centimetres long (Crown to rump length) and weighs about 3 grams.
What’s happening to mom?
- Heartburn (acidity) can be a common complaint. You can avoid heartburn by eating smaller meals throughout the day versus eating three larger meals at typical mealtimes, by not lying down after meals and by avoiding spicy or greasy foods.
- Your breasts continue to feel heavy and full and your veins too might be more prominent. Again your body is getting ready for its maternal tasks like breastfeeding.
- You still might not look pregnant but are definitely are feeling very pregnant. You may experience mood swings, and have an increase in heartburn and bloating. These are common complaints of pregnancy.
Checklist for mom
- If you are overworked at home, then this is the time to start arranging for more domestic help at home.
- Also, if you are stressed at work, see if you can cut back or try and relax at home - exercise, meditation, music etc.
Ideas for dad
- You can offer to help her carry the heavy bags so that she does not strain herself.
- You must be so excited about the baby and might have already started checking out the cute baby shops. But do not rush into any hasty shopping. It is still early. The delicate first trimester is still on and it’s a good idea to check out what’s available first. Do go ahead and have fun browsing or window-shopping though.
- You might want to check out some comfortable maternity clothes since in a few weeks you might no longer fit in your old clothes.
Useful Parentree articles for this stage of pregnancy